100GBASE-ER4 Application Overview
100GBASE-ER4: 100 Gb/s wavelength-division multiplexed (WDM) serial transmission over 2 single‑mode optical fibers, with reach up to at least 40 km
100GBASE-ER4 supports four long wavelength WDM serial transmission over duplex (2‑fiber) single‑mode optical fiber cabling. The application’s equivalent symbol rate is 103.125 GBd per lane and the supported distance varies according to the type of single‑mode cable used. Network equipment interface connections include a duplex optical fiber connector and standard sockets into which physical (PHY) layer transceiver modules may be plugged.
- Connector type: LC
- Transceiver module: QSFP28, CFP, CFP2
- Defined in clause 88 of the IEEE 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
- Initially published as IEEE Std 802.3ba™: Media Access Control Parameters, Physical Layers, and Management Parameters for 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s Operation in 2010
Optical Fiber Cabling (Channel) Characteristics:
|Operating wavelengths:||1295.56 nm, 1300.05 nm, 1304.58 nm, and 1309.14 nm|
|Specification wavelength:||1310 nm|
|Insertion loss (max):||18.0 dB|
|Cabled fiber attenuation (max):||1.0 dB/km||0.5 dB/km||0.4 dB/km|
|Operating range2:||2 m to 15 km1||2 m to 30 km1||2 m to 40 km3|
|1 Operating range for cabled fibers having other than 0.4 dB/km attenuation is not specified by IEEE 802.3. These calculations are provided for information only.
2 Maximum operating ranges are calculated using a 2.0 dB connection and splice loss allocation.
3 Links longer than 30 km for the same link power budget are considered engineered links and must not exceed specified insertion loss.
Key Application Capabilities:
- Defines a 100 Gb/s PHY using four WDM lanes for operation over at least 40 km of SMF
- Supports full-duplex operation only
- Preserves the Ethernet frame format utilizing the Ethernet MAC
- Preserves minimum and maximum FrameSize of current 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
- Provides appropriate support for optical transport networks (OTNs)
- Supports a BER of better than or equal to 10-12 at the MAC/PLS service interface
The IEEE P802.3ba Task Force also specified the following 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s Ethernet applications:
|Application||Operating Wavelength(s)||Media||Operating Range1|
|40GBASE-CR4||–||Copper Twinax||up to 7 m|
|40GBASE-LR4||four WDM2||Single-mode||up to 10 km|
|40GBASE-SR4||850 nm||Multimode||up to 150 m|
|100GBASE-CR10||–||Copper Twinax||up to 7 m|
|100GBASE-LR4||four WDM3||Single-mode||up to 10 km|
|100GBASE-SR10||850 nm||Multimode||up to 150 m|
|1 Supported distance varies according to the type of optical fiber cable used.
2 1271 nm, 1291 nm, 1311 nm, and 1331 nm
3 1295.56 nm, 1300.05 nm, 1304.58 nm, and 1309.14 nm
Back to TIA FOTC IEEE 802.3 Single-mode Optical Fiber Ethernet Standards Explorer