10GBASE-ER Application Overview
10GBASE‑ER: 10 Gb/s serial transmission at 1550 nm over 2 single‑mode optical fibers, with reach up to at least 40 km
10GBASE-ER supports extra-long wavelength serial transmission over duplex (2‑fiber) single‑mode optical fiber cabling. The application’s equivalent symbol rate is 10.3125 GBd per lane and the supported distance varies according to the type of single‑mode cable used. Network equipment interface connections include duplex optical fiber connectors and standard sockets into which physical (PHY) layer transceiver modules may be plugged.
- Connector type: SC, LC
- Transceiver module: SFP+, XENPAK, X2, XFP
- Defined in clause 52 of the IEEE 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
- Initially published as IEEE Std 802.3ae™: Media Access Control Parameters, Physical Layers and Management Parameters for 10Gb/s Operation in 2002
Optical Fiber Cabling (Channel) Characteristics:
|Operating wavelength:||1550 nm|
|Insertion loss (min)1:||5.0 dB|
|Insertion loss (max):||11.0 dB|
|Cabled fiber attenuation (max):||1.0 dB/km||0.5 dB/km||0.4 dB/km|
|Operating range2:||2 m to 9 km3||2 m to 18 km3||2 m to 40 km4|
|1 Minimum channel insertion loss may be achieved by use of an optical attenuator.
2 Operating range for cabled fibers having other than 0.4 dB/km attenuation is not specified by IEEE 802.3. These calculations are provided for information only.
3 Maximum operating ranges are calculated using a 2.0 dB connection and splice loss allocation.
4 Links longer than 30 km for the same link power budget are considered engineered links and must not exceed specified insertion loss.
Key Application Capabilities:
- Defines a 10 Gb/s PHY for operation over at least 40 km of SMF
- Supports full-duplex operation only
- Preserves the 802.3 Ethernet frame format utilizing the Ethernet MAC
- Preserves minimum and maximum FrameSize of current 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
- Provides appropriate support for optical transport networks (OTNs)
- Supports a BER of better than or equal to 10-12 at the MAC/PLS service interface
The IEEE P802.3ae Task Force also specified the following 10 Gb/s Ethernet applications:
|Application||Operating Wavelength||Media||Operating Range1|
|10GBASE-LR||1310 nm||Single-mode||up to 10 km|
|10GBASE-LX4||four WDM2||Multimode3||up to 300 m|
|10GBASE-LX4||four WDM2||Single-mode||up to 10 km|
|10GBASE-SR||850 nm||Multimode||up to 400 m|
|1 Supported distance varies according to the type of optical fiber cable used.
2 1275.7 nm, 1300.2 nm, 1324.7 nm, and 1349.2 nm
3 Use of mode conditioning launch cords is not required for OM3, OM4, or OM5.
Back to TIA FOTC IEEE 802.3 Single-mode Optical Fiber Ethernet Standards Explorer