1000BASE-LX Application Overview
1000BASE-LX supports long wavelength serial transmission over duplex (2‑fiber) multimode optical fiber cabling. The application’s nominal symbol rate is 1.25 GBd per lane and the supported distance varies according to the type of multimode cable used. For legacy OM1 and OM2 installations, mode conditioning launch cords are required at each transceiver end to prevent signal jitter from differential mode delay (DMD). Network equipment interface connections include duplex optical fiber connectors and a standard socket into which physical (PHY) layer transceiver modules may be plugged.
- Connector type: SC, LC
- Transceiver module: SFP
- Defined in clause 38 of the IEEE 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
- Initially published as IEEE Std 802.3z™: Media Access Control Parameters, Physical Layers, Repeater and Management Parameters for 1,000 Mb/s Operation in 1998
Optical Fiber Cabling (Channel) Characteristics:
|1270 to 1355
|2 to 600
|Insertion loss (max)2:
|1 Use of mode conditioning launch cords is not required for OM3, OM4, or OM5.
2 OM3, OM4, and OM5 had not been standardized when 1000BASE‑LX was developed. Calculated operating range and insertion loss budget assume two standards‑compliant connector pairs in a channel and are provided for system planning purposes only.
Key Application Capabilities:
- Defines a 1,000 Mb/s PHY for operation over at least 550 m of MMF
- Supports full-duplex operation only
- Preserves the Ethernet frame format utilizing the Ethernet MAC
- Preserves minimum and maximum FrameSize of current 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
The IEEE P802.3z Task Force also specified the following 1000 Mb/s Ethernet applications:
|1270 to 1355 nm
|up to 5 km
|770 to 860 nm
|up to 1.1 km1
|1 OM3, OM4, and OM5 had not been standardized when 1000BASE‑SX was developed. Calculated operating range assumes two standards compliant connector pairs in a channel and is provided for system planning purposes only.
2 Supported distance varies according to the type of optical fiber cable used.
Back to TIA FOTC IEEE 802.3 Multimode Optical Fiber Ethernet Standards Explorer